Avocado “Hummus” from The Iron You:
2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
Juice of ½ lemon
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ tablespoon tahini paste (aka sesame seed paste)
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Ground black pepper to taste
2 teaspoon olive oil
Chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Crush the garlic and one-half teaspoon salt in a mortar (or in a small bowl) until pureed.
- Transfer the puree to the work bowl of a food processor (or blender), add the tahini paste and lime juice and process until white and contracted.
- Add avocado, cumin, and cayenne pepper (if using) and pulse until smooth, at least 60 seconds. Make sure there are no chunks of avocado hiding in the middle, you want a smooth consistency.
- If too thick, thin to desired consistency by adding a bit of water, one tablespoon at a time.
- Serve, sprinkled with parsley and drizzled with olive oil.